Saturday 1 October 2011

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus Reviewed by Gina
Date Published: September 15th, 2011
Date Read: October 1st, 2011
Blurb: The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.


Review: Where do I begin? Words cannot describe how magnificent this book was for me to read. I don't think I’ve ever been so intrigued by a book and never has one captured me quite like this. I was blown away by the plot and the world that Erin Morgenstern has created. It was believable and I wished that I could step into the pages and live it as one of the Rêveurs – the dreamers. The romance between the main characters Marco and Celia flourished just like the magic of Le Cirque des Rêves – The Circus of Dreams. The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it, no paper notices on downtown posts and billboards, no mentions or advertisements in local newspapers. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.


A circus that is only black and white and that is only open at night gives the book such mystery that it makes you want to read it even more. You want to know its secrets and the ways it works. Because I know that it did that to me and I couldn’t rest until I had completed this book.

The first few lines draw you in instantly and you know that there is magic there even though it has not been hinted at yet. From the very first word I could not put it down and I thoroughly enjoyed the thrill and mystery of what this book has in store for every reader.

The Story begins with a young Celia being taken to her father, whose name is Prospero the Enchanter (Hector). There her fate is entwined with that of Marco, who is seeked out by the Enchanter’s opponent (Alexander). They are put into a contest where there can only be one winner and it will test them till the very end.

Throughout the story we see the lives of Celia and Marco unfold as the magic takes over their lives and the Circus is created. Later on, as the circus makes its way around the world, we see them grow closer and their love shows itself to us subtly and it is a change from sappy romance, which is common in most YA novels. I knew that there would be some sort of paranormal aspect but I didn’t realise that it would grow to be this great and powerful. I love that everything in this novel revolves around the magic in the circus and how it is created and made to seem like illusions to its aficionados.

I could picture every single thing clearly in my mind, so clear in fact, that it seemed as though I was looking at a picture. I heard recently that the film rights have been purchased and I am wary about that fact. I feel that there are so many images in this book, which can only be conjured up in your imagination, that they may not cross over fully onto the big screen. But they may surprise us all and capture the book perfectly. If I was the script writer I would have no idea where to start because this book is just that amazing.

Erin Morgenstern gave us every detail about the circus and the inner workings of it, but it wasn’t tiring to read like some books and I wasn’t bored of the details as everything she wrote was necessary and magical. This book may not be for everyone but I think that any lover of the YA genre or the paranormal one will love this book.

To be honest, I did not want this book to end. And maybe that is why it took me so long to read (a week). I wanted to read every detail slowly and carefully so it was imprinted into my brain and I can honestly say that this book is one of a kind. I disliked nothing about this book and it is definitely my favourite that I have read this year.

So, to anyone who is considering reading or buying this book note this down: go for it, because you will experience nothing else like it. If you see it on the shelves, grab it before someone else does because it will be worth whatever money you spend on it.

I hope that you enjoy the romance, mystery, magic and the unknown just as I have. Embrace The Night Circus and explore and enjoy every second of it. Easiest 5 stars I've ever given!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment