Wednesday 5 October 2011

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Firelight Reviewed by Gina :)
Date Published: March 3rd, 2011 (UK)
Date Read: October 5th, 2011
Blurb: Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.


Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.



Review: I really enjoyed this book. I’ve never read one about dragons before as the main paranormal theme (in this case draki who as descendant from dragons) and I found the plot of this book really interesting. The characters were likeable and the forbidden love was great!

The story starts with Jacinda being taken away from the Pride by her mother and her sister as it has become too dangerous for her, especially after what she did at the beginning. They move to the desert just outside of Las Vegas where Jacinda’s mother hopes for her draki to die so she can live a normal life.

Enter young, hot Will who has all the girls swooning after him but doesn’t have a girlfriend and who isn’t even remotely interested in them to begin with. As the blurb says, Will’s family hunts Jacinda’s kind and she realizes that she has to stay away from him at all costs. But that gets pretty hard when they start falling for each other which her sister, Tamra, and her mum aren’t happy about.

I found Jacinda a little annoying at one part because one second she wanted someone and the next minute she was pushing them away (people who have read this book know what I am on about) and it kind of frustrated me. But that didn’t make the book bad. I loved her will power to keep her draki alive but she moaned a little bit too much for my liking and it sounded repetitive. But overall she was a decent character who fell in love with Mr. Perfect. I loved Will from the very beginning, from that moment in the cave with Jacinda, which showed that he was sweet. Completely different from the rest of the hunters. Which is the great thing.

I think that Sophie Jordan’s style of writing is great and it kept me turning the pages, especially nearer to the end (had me not wanting to go to bed for school). That’s when I know a book is good, when I am willing to give up my sleeping time for it.

I’d recommend this book to anyone who loves dragons, forbidden love that takes your breath away and great characters who make you happy, sad, angry and fall in love with them.

I am really looking forward to reading Vanish to find out what happens and I’m ordering it tomorrow. (Gotta order it online because it doesn’t come out in England until next September!!! I cannot wait THAT long for the next one so I am getting it off of the book depository :D) I’m giving this book 4.5/5 stars!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment