Monday 24 October 2011

Cover Battles (#5)

Hi guys, this week I (Gina) have chosen The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson because I just got this book and love the cover :)

The Name of the Star (Shades of London #1)The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)

US                                                UK

Gina


US: This was the cover that first drew me to checking out this book on Goodreads. It was mystical, eerie and set me on edge. I love the man fading into the mist, making him disappear from sight. It isn't too in your face which is the good thing about this cover.

UK: I really love this cover. It's dark, haunting and i like that the cover is mainly black. I much prefer this title font compared to the US one because it isn't boring. The whole cover just works perfectly and you instantly know what you're going to get with this book.

Conclusion: I think the UK wins this one, even though i love them both, there is just something about it that catches my eye. If i saw them both in a shop then i would be instantly drawn to the UK one as it is bold and dark.


Katie


US: I’m not keen on this cover, I’m not sure why but I just don’t like it compared to the UK one. Don’t get me wrong, when I saw it on Goodreads I wanted to see what it was all about, especially because of the name of the book. But I just don’t like the cover. I have seen that its got top ratings, so I think that it should have a better cover, especially  because it’s American because they’re a bigger country and more people to lure into the book.

UK: I quite like this cover because it’s dark and foreshadows something bad to happen in the book. I really like how the model is pale making her stand out of the cover and I like how her body fades into a graveyard, then smack bang in the middle is red writing which makes it creepy because of the font. To me the red is the only colour on the cover which also stands out and because it’s the tag line it lures you in even more. I really love that the authors name is sort of fuzzy (or is that because I haven’t got my glasses on?!) Either way, I like it! :)

Conclusion: I prefer the UK cover because it’s more appealing and it’s what would make me want to pick the book up.


I (Katie) have chosen My Soul to Steal by Rachel Vincent. First of all let me just say that I love this series!

My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)

US                                                   UK

Gina


US: I love the dress that this model is wearing and how it seems to turn to mist. I think it's an okay cover but i think that if i saw this on a shelf, it wouldn't catch my attention as much as the UK one. The US one is a little bit plain but i do like the font for the title.

UK: I love all the UK covers for this series. Because they're all in black and white with one piece of colour to match the colour of the title. Here are the first three below to show you what i mean.

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)My Soul to SaveMy Soul To Keep (Soul Screamers, #3)

Very creative and they catch your attention immediately. That's why i love this series, and the words are really good too :)

Conclusion: No competition, UK wins!! Love it!!


Katie


US: If I’m honest, I’m not really keen on the US covers for the Soul Screamers series. I prefer the UK one’s a lot more because they seem really interesting and stand out to you more. I quite like the font but when you put the UK and US version together I’m not so keen.

UK: I really love this cover; I love the design that it’s wispy and blends into the model whereas the writing and butterfly stands out to you because it’s the only colour that is on the cover. I just really love this cover, end of! Haha.

Conclusion: The UK wins this without a question!

1 comments:

  1. Hi I have to disagree with you on this one.
    I think the US book cover is much better, like you said it has more of a mystery to it, what with the guy fading into the back ground.
    I think it should have had the font of the UK book cover and that would have made it perfect then. :)
    nats

    ReplyDelete