Monday 19 November 2012

Review: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Spellbound (Spellbound, #1)Date Read: June 21st, 2012
Date Published: June 21st, 2011
Publishers: Harlequin Teen
Format: Paperback
Pages: 341
Blurb: What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.
But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

Review:
I’ve read books where the characters felt they had true love but this is real, honest, true love. It’s the kind that’s in fairy tales and it was beautiful to read. It was just a fun read with characters that I loved almost instantly and a plot that was strong and entertaining.

Emma Connor moves to New York City after almost dying in a car accident and it’s more different than she thought it would be. Not only does she not fit in but she’s already caught the attention of the Vince A’s number one bitch, who happens to have a crush on the guy who has noticed Emma. Brendan Salinger, the guy who is only interested in you in your dreams, who has a model’s looks and is the resident bad boy at Vince A. Emma soon learns that there is a reason she feels so strongly towards him. A centuries old curse is upon them. They are true love incarnate and if they do not defeat the curse it will destroy Emma just as it has before. But with the clock ticking Emma knows she has to figure the curse out or she will die. Who knew true love would come at a price?

I love the idea of this book. I’ve read a few about lovers that have been reincarnated over centuries but this is my favourite so far. Cara Lynn Shultz is a great writer who knows how to tell a story in an intriguing and captivating way. I couldn’t put this book down and I have her to thank for that. I especially liked the fact that there were twists and turns that I didn’t expect, as well as a fast pace. At some bits I was holding my breath because it was that tense.

Another thing that makes this book so good are the characters that are loveable and completely adorable. Especially Brendan and Emma. Those two together made me smile and my insides go all fuzzy. They were great to read and their relationship is so strong. It made me want what they have. Also, the fact that Brendan is hot makes this an even more enjoyable read. Talk about a major crush alert. Anyone who reads this will fall in love with him almost straight away, I know I did. But enough about Brendan, Emma is also pretty cool who has a few surprises up her sleeve that I don’t want to spoil. She’s a character that is real. She’s had a pretty rough time in the past, which can be relatable to readers, but she can also hold her own. She also makes a cool friend who just happens to be a witch. Can this book get any cooler? Angelique is funny, sassy and extremely likable with her quick temper. Did I mention that her dislike of Brendan adds some humour to the book? The things they say to each other sometimes are hilarious.

Overall this book is great. Sometimes it can make you cringe with embarrassment, other times it makes you shake with laughter and sometimes you catch yourself smiling and saying “aww” because it’s so damn cute. It’s tense at times and the pace keeps you on the edge of your seat at certain parts but this book will never fail to make you want more. I know I did as soon as I finished it. So take my advice and pick it up because it’s a fun, light and interesting read that you are sure to fall head over heels in love with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment