Monday 19 November 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)Date Read: May 8th, 2012
Date Published: April 24th, 2012
Publishers: Harlequin Teen
Format: Hardback
Pages: 485
Blurb: "In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.



Review:
I have to say, I only read the first two Iron Fey books but this book right here was so much better than them. Some people will say “How can you say that?” but honestly, quite easily. This book just had so much more to it. I must admit that with the Iron Fey series it took me forever to read those two books as there was just too much info to digest and it was slow. But this book was fast paced and had a storyline to make me drool. So what makes this book so amazing, you ask? Well, I’m about to tell you.

Allison Sekemoto is unregistered which means she is nearly invincible but it also means she lives a life of stealing, scavenging and hiding in the Fringe of the outskirts of a Vampire City. She and her crew struggle to survive in the day and at night they must hide if they are to stay alive. But one night, when she and her crew go at out night, she knows they’ve made a fatal mistake. When they are attacked by the Rabids, mindless creatures who wander outside the city walls, Allie is faced with a decision. Die or become one of the monsters she has hated all her life. A Vampire. Allie becomes the things she despises the most and is taught by her Sire how to fight and live as one. But when something happens she is forced to flee and joins a band of humans who are searching for a place that may cure the disease of rabidism. She must learn to hide what she really is and that’s hard to do around Zeke, who she is growing closer to. Will she be able to keep her Hunger contained or will she end up killing an innocent?

This book...I don’t know where to begin. Maybe I should start off with the character of Allision. I loved her. Simply because she was a bad ass girl with some crazy moves and ideas. I could relate to her because if I was given the choice to live or die I would choose to live, even if it meant becoming something I hated. She was strong, brave and determined to not let the monster inside her get the better of her. She doesn’t want to be a monster so she tries hard to contain it and cling to her humanity. I was rooting for her throughout the whole novel.
Zeke....I fell in love with him and his ways. His role in the group of humans was to protect them and he did a great job. He blamed himself for a lot of thing but Allie was there to help him. There were times when I just wanted to pull him out of the book and give him a great big hug because he was that amazing and heroic. In a way he was a lot like Allie. And their relationship wasn’t instant. It grew and as it did they did too.
Now onto Kanin, Allie’s Sire. He was one complicated character but I really liked him. I hope we get to see more of him in the next book. When we found out about his past I understood why he was the way he was. I want to know more and I think we’ll get it.

I loved Allie’s commitment to both Zeke and Kanin and that she wanted to help both at the same time but couldn’t. I just know that the next book will have so much more in store for her and Kanin and I hope Zeke appears as well.

Now onto the plot. There hasn’t been a good vampire novel in a while and this took us back to the original vampires. Monsters that needed blood to survive and wanted it and couldn’t stop once they got started. But not only do we have humans and vampires, we also have the Rabids that are more monstrous than the vampires. Vampires can stop themselves but Rabids can’t which makes them extra dangerous.
Everything about this book was thoroughly thought out and there were lots of twists and turns to keep me intrigued. I didn’t want to go to school or sleep because it was so fast paced that I didn’t want to stop and put it down. The descriptive scenes in this book were amazingly gruesome and seemed so real I was sure I’d have nightmares about Rabids coming after me. There were times when my stomach churned in anticipation and I was rooting for the group and Allison to get through this.

This book took a hold of me and wouldn’t let go. I won’t be forgetting this one for a while and I am super excited for the next one. This Vampire book was unique and totally original. I don’t think they’ll be another like it. Anyone who loves Vampire books or is a fan of Kagawa needs to get this and if my review hasn’t convinced you then I don’t know what will. But if you do take a chance with this book I can assure you that it will be everything you expect from Kagawa and more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment