Monday 23 January 2012

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)Reviewed by Gina

Date Read: January 22nd, 2012
Date Published: September 27th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Format: Hardback
Pages: 452
Blurb: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.






Review: This book just blew me away!! It was just amazing and I loved it. The suspense, the romance, the horror,the mystery, just everything about it! I've never read a book like this before and I'm so glad I got it because i would be missing out if i didn't.

Mara Dyer is the only survivor in a terrible accident, one is which her three friends died in. When she wakes up she can’t remember a thing. Nothing. Mara and her family move away to Miami and she believes the change in scenery will help her move on. But it won’t. In her dreams she catches glimpses of what happened that night and when she is awake she has hallucinations. But when Mara meets Noah she falls in love, something she didn’t think was possible after everything she’d been through. But problems are never far away and things are happening. Things that point to Mara being the cause of them all. But is she?

I did not know what to expect when I started reading this book. But I know for a fact that I did not expect a contemporary novel that was part thriller, mystery and with a supernatural twist that blew me away. This book would not let me go until I had finished it. This book shocked me in so many ways and I loved all the twists it had to offer. This book is just one big mystery that I couldn’t wait to solve.

Mara was a great character and Michelle wrote her perfectly. I had no idea if she was sane or crazy and that was the great thing about her. There were so many mysteries surrounding her and I loved that. She doesn’t let anyone push her around and she definitely has her own opinions. But the hallucinations freaked me out at some points. There was one that was uber creepy and I was thinking “What is going on?!” but it was amazing!! Now onto the next character...Noah Shaw. Now, he was one awesome guy. My heart melted at one point (you will know what I’m talking about when you read the book). He was just HOT!

There are certain parts in this book that had me holding my breath in anticipation, some that made me go “aww” because it was sweet and some that just left me speechless. The writing was addictive and I just read until I couldn’t take anymore (which was when the book finished). The pace was quick and I flew through this novel even though it is nearly 500 pages long. I just loved this book so much.

I cannot wait for the next book so I can find out what happens to Mara. I need more soon!


Rating: 5 stars!!

3 comments:

  1. I also just loved this book!! I am so glad you enjoyed it!! Great Review!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the first page I read till the ending the book was amazing. I NEVER lost interest in it i just kept on reading more never wanting to put the book down, a must read book. I hope there is a part two to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is VERY high on my TBR list. I read a review recently that said if you enjoy the movies Memento and Inception, then you needed to read this book. That sold me instantly! I'm glad to see that you loved it, too! I wish I could read it NOW but I have a few others to read first.

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete