Wednesday 18 January 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)Reviewed by Gina
Rating: 5 stars
Date Read: 17th January, 2012
Date Published: 3rd January, 2012
Blurb: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Review: This book was incredible! I love YA and sci-fi so putting the two together for a great story took hold of me and I loved every moment of this book. And what was eve better was that it was based on the fairytale of Cinderella and I loved that. It was original, well-written, funny, heartbreaking, touching and just plain amazing.

Linh Cinder lives in a difficult world that was mostly destroyed by World War IV. But it’s even more difficult for Cinder as she is a Cyborg, part mechanical, which makes her a second class citizen. She lives in New Beijing and works as a gifted mechanic. But when she stumbles across Prince Kai her world changes. For the good and the bad. There is a disease that is killing off the population and Cinder has been taken in as a test subject and there she finds out some things about herself that she didn’t know before. But trouble awaits Cinder at every turn and Queen Levana is coming to earth and Cinder’s life is in danger. This is no normal fairytale...

Once I was into this book there was no getting out of it. I loved the world Marissa created and her characters were loveable and hateable (if that’s even a word). Cinder was great and she has the elements that made me a modern, futuristic Cinderella. She has chores to do, couldn’t go to the Prince’s ball and she had the awful stepmother. But I found myself surprised to have Marissa create a nice step sister that I felt for. Kai was nice as well and I could tell that he liked Cinder but the ending was kind of shocking/expected as I knew something would happen. Queen Levana...now she is just pure evil. I won’t go into her character much but she is one nasty person.

Marissa’s writing style is descriptive, imaginable and enjoyable. She gave the fairytale a great twist and I loved everything about this story. I cannot wait to read more of it and I am sad that I have to wait a whole year to read the next instalment because that was an amazing ending. It followed the original fairytale but was twisted and just awesome. One of my favourite reads of 2012 so far. Loved it!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment