Wednesday 23 January 2013

Review: Of Posidon by Anna Banks


Date Read: January 16th, 2013
Date Published: May 22nd, 2012
Publishers: Feiwel & Friends
Format: Hardback
Pages: 326
Blurb: Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


Review:
I loved this book because it was brilliant. There are not a lot of mermaid books out there compared to the amount of vampire and werewolf ones. This was something I hadn’t seen before and it had a unique writing style as well. It alternated between a girl’s point of view in first person to the guy’s in third person. Sounds confusing, right? But surprisingly it was easy to follow and flowed nicely. 

This book starts off straight away with the two main characters and I liked that. Sometimes we have to wait a while but not with this book and boy did the opening surprise me. From reading the blurb you know that there is a shark encounter and Galen realises Emma’s special. So he decides he needs to get to know her and that’s when the story really begins. 

Those two characters...I love them to pieces. Emma is so feisty, funny and relatable. Some people have moaned about her feeling inst-love towards Galen but there is a reason people and it shall be shown later on. There’s a lot of mysteries surrounding her and I guessed a few but others I didn’t. There was one and I didn’t think it would be true but it was! I always love that feeling when you know something before it happens. Makes me feel paranormal!

Galen is a Syrena (merman but they told like to be called that, hate it actually and as I am writing this I am having deja vu, so scary) and he is a typical royal, bossy a bit bratty but that kind of changes when he meets Emma. They are uber cute together and he is swoon-worthy. He made me laugh a few times because of the things he says. Not being human he doesn’t know a lot about us and the things we do and our sayings. So when he learnt them it made me laugh. He is kind and caring, unlike his sister Rayna who could be a bit horrible at times. 

Some other characters worth mentioning are Toraf, Galen’s best friend, who is loyal and has a few great lines. Emma’s mum was the stereotypical over-protective mum and I loved it. Her scenes with Galen were cringey but also funny with the way he reacted to her. 

The story hooks you from the start and there are a lot of surprises in store for readers. You think you know what’s happening when in reality you’re completely wrong. This book will not disappoint. I didn’t want to give away too much because you deserve to find out yourself. Overall, an amazing read and I can’t wait for Of Triton.


0 comments:

Post a Comment