Tuesday 15 January 2013

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire


Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)Date Read: December 25th, 2012
Date Published: June 14th, 2011
Publishers: Egmont USA
Format: Hardback
Pages: 390
Blurb: One hour to rewrite the past...
For 17 year old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older that Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened.


Review:
You know a book's good when it keeps you up until the early hours of the morning. I literally couldn't stop reading this book. It captivated me and with every page I fell more in love with the story. I've never read a book about time travel before so this was very interesting and I don't think I'll read another like it any time soon.

Emerson (Em) was a great character. I instantly connected with her from the beginning. She's feisty, sarcastic, funny, caring and she can do some pretty amazing things. She's vulnerable and I like that because it makes her more real. I think everyone will like her. Since her parents died she lives with her brother Thomas and his wife Dru. They're amazing characters, so caring and they acted like a real family. I look forward to reading more about them in the next book. They definitely love Em and want to help her with her ghost problems.

Ah Michael' the charming, handsome and swoon-worthy love interest. He doesn't want to mix business with pleasure but you can see there is an instant connection between the two of them. I loved reading their scenes with each other. There was banter, joking around and I liked the fact that they didn't get together straight away. He's always there for her and they're a couple you want to get together. Definitely book-crush worthy.

The actual story was impressive. It flowed naturally and everything that was in it was necessary to making the story what it is. It's original and I don't think there's anything like it out there. For a debut it's pretty amazing and you can enjoy it. So much happens' so many enigmas and twists and turns that it keeps surprising you. McEntire is a genius with words. Any book she writes I will gladly read.

Overall this book has pretty much everything. Lovable characters, a charming heroine who has a troubled background, a hot love interest, protective brother, mysterious association, sci-fi basis and great writing. Loved it!


1 comments:

  1. I just put the book on my TBR list a couple days ago! I'm so glad you liked it. I guess I'll have to get it from the library tomorrow since I have school off!

    ReplyDelete