Sunday 4 December 2011

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)Reviewed by Gina
Date Read: 3rd December, 2011
Date Published: 15th November, 2011
Blurb: In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.
Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.


Review: When I heard that Kimberly Derting was having a new series published I was very excited because I absolutely LOVE her Body Finder series. And when this book arrived I had to get into it. It took me a while to finish this book and I’d like to say that that was down to me being too busy but in reality I did lose interest in this book a little bit. I will read the next ones in the series but I prefer her other series. So for that I am dropping a star.

This book is set in the future in a country called Ludania and within it the people are dived by what language you speak. If suddenly someone starts talking to you who is above you in their language you aren’t allowed to acknowledge them or you will be executed for all to see. But Charlie can understand all languages and when she meets a mysterious guy called Max who holds many secrets and speaks a language she has never heard before she is instantly intrigued. But there is something different about Charlie and she’s about to find out just what that is.

Considering that this is a dystopian novel I was surprised to find a paranormal element within it and also a lot of political content which I actually enjoyed surprisingly. There are many twists within this and the characters are loveable apart from The Queen. Now, she was one evil villain and I think that Kimberly did a great job by making us hate her from the first page. This is a different dystopian novel as it has a monarchy ruling and I found that interesting.

Most of the story is from Charlie’s point of view and I loved that. But we also got to see the story from the Queen, Max and some other characters point of view. And the title ties in well with a scene between Charlie and Max which I loved!

Because I loved the Body Finder series so much I think I was expecting a lot from this book and in a way I feel that I set my standards a little too high. Don’t get me wrong, this book is amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it but it’s hard to right another book that lives up to the other ones. I think a lot of authors have that problem but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the authors are bad at writing.

Overall I enjoyed this book and I cannot wait to read the next one in the series. There’s a bit of romance which I loved, action and I just thought that it was a good dystopian book so fans of that genre should love this book too! 4 stars!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment