Sunday 22 April 2012

Review: Slide by Jill Hathaway

Slide Reviewed by Gina
Date Read: April 6th, 2012
Date Published: March 1st, 2012
Publishers: HarperCollins UK
Format: Paperback
Pages: 250
Blurb: Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again


Review:
I knew I had to have this book as soon as I found out it was a mystery murder one with a hint of the paranormal; the type I have grown to love now. And as soon as I read the blurb I knew I had to get my hands on this one. And the cover, for both the US and UK, are great. I loved this book. Another reason why this book was great is because I didn't guess who the actual killer was so it shocked me. I had suspects but they were all wrong. Guess I wouldn't be a good detective.

Vee Bell has narcolepsy which allows her to faint at any time, any where. But when she faints she slides into someone else and can see what they see. But to do that she must touch something that has a person essence on it, an imprint that is strong enough for her to go into someone’s mind. When her sister’s friend’s death is marked down as suicide she knows it’s not because she was in the killers mind when the girl died. She knows that no one will believe her because the killer made it look like a suicide so she knows the only thing left for her to do is figure it out on her own and there is a list of suspects.

This book was just amazing. It had hints of humour, a great heroine and an interesting storyline that pulled me in. I liked Vee a lot and her ability kept me on edge throughout the book. I would hate it if I could slide into someone else and what a pain it would be as well. Oh yeah, did i mention the fact that she has pink hair? How awesome is that!

Vee develops a relationship with a guy called Zane who moves to the school and I enjoyed reading about them. Things moved quickly but not unnaturally. But the end of their relationship was sad and something I did not expect at all. Readers will be shocked towards the end of the book. But I must say that I LOVED her best friend Rollins. He was the classic rebel and I wanted Vee to end up with him because you can tell her likes her a lot. I hope that in the next book we get to see more of him and Vee together.

The ending set up the beginning for the next perfectly but it was also a good ending because even if it wasn’t being carried on it could have finished there as a stand alone novel. Jill Hathaway is a great author who knows how to create tense scenes and I cannot wait for the next book to come out because I need it in my hands.

0 comments:

Post a Comment