Sunday 4 March 2012

Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

BloodlinesReviewed by Gina
Date Read: February 28th, 2012
Date Published: August 25th, 2011
Publishers: Razorbill
Format: Paperback
Pages: 421
Blurb: When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.


Review: Wooowwww...I had no idea how much i actually missed the world that is Vampire Academy. Bloodlines was just as amazing as the original series and such a good book. I'm so excited for Golden Lily to be released now and that ending was great! I expected Bloodlines to be good because let's be fair, Richelle Mead is an AMAZING author, and in reality is was better than good. It was excellent and just as enjoyable as VA. It was definitely different seeing the world from Sydney's POV and not Rose's but i loved it anyway!

When Sydney, an Alchemist, is woken up at night she is told that she has an assignment. She is to protect Jill, the Queen's sister, as she is in mortal danger. Jill must go into hiding and Sydney is to keep her protected along with some familiar faces. Accompanying them are Eddie, the dhampir guardian, and Adrian Ivashkov, who has his own reasons for being with Jill. Together they go to Palm Springs where they are to wait out until the danger has passed. But even isolated things don't run smoothly. Danger is still there, even in other forms. Sydney's learnt to tolerate being around vampires but is spending everyday with them too much to ask of her?

I have to admit, that the plotline for this book was great. Richelle Mead has a way of creating amazing storylines that just flow perfectly and they always have lots of action and drama. I have to admit that i really did miss Rose, and her rose-logic, and the handsome Dimitri, but this book offered lots and i loved it all. Sydney is so different from Rose but i love reading from her point of view. She doesn't like vampires, or their abilities, so it was different but interesting. But as the story progressed she learnt that there is no good and evil, black and white, and that sometimes the lines blur, especially when it comes to Moroi. She learns to deal with situations that even some Moroi would struggle with. She also has an amazingly clever mind which i adored!

I was glad to see some familiar faces, as well as new ones. Adrian Ivashkov...He does make me chuckle. He is just so funny and snarky that you can't help but love him. I was so happy to find that he was in this series because i did love him in VA, I just loved Dimitri that little bit more, so it was good to have him here. There is definitely potential for a love triangle and i won't say who the other guy could be but i don't like the idea of Adrian having his heart broken. I think that later on in the series there will be something concerning a relationship between him and Sydney but i hope it works out because they would be cute together!

The shocks in this book....Boy, does Richelle know how to create amazing twists and turns. There was a major plotline that i guessed between Jill and Adrian, and there were others where i looked at the book and thought..."What the hell just happened?" That's what i love about Richelle Mead's books. They always surprise you.

I'm so glad that she decided to do a Spin-off series because even though it's not the real VA, it's pretty darn close, and i still got a bit of Rose (only five pages though which i hated because it was too short) but that ending....That sentence...."Dimitri Belikov had arrived"....So good and THAT is what has made me so excited for Golden Lily to come out. This book is great and once you finish VA you HAVE to get this because it is just as great!

Rating: 5 stars!!

2 comments:

  1. I so agree! The ending got me so mad lol! If that wasn't a tease then i don't know what the heck is! I just dropped my jaw when I read that sentence! And then I turned the page like "Where's the rest?!" But nooo, the book had to just... end! Grr! Lol good review!

    Shae @ Understanding Shae's Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the VA series and I was very disappointed when it ended.Especially with Rose and Dimitri getting together in the end,but giving us no romance pages after that. I could not get myself to start Bloodlines because of it. However I was definetely not very dissappointed.I finished the book in two days.It was nice to see the old characters again,but I want more Rose anf Dimitri pages in the next book.I would have definitely hate the book if I had not read the VA series before.

    ReplyDelete